Thursday, July 18, 2013

dyslexic?

I've been reading(bout dyslexia lately. See, many years ago I listened to my mother in law about how everyone was dyslexic and until you learned how to read you remained dyslexic. I've since realized she was wrong. So very wrong. Problem is I can't get my husband to stop the belief that was placed in his mind by his mother. This doesn't help the situation I'm in.

It's taken almost 20 years after highschool to realize I'm not like others. I struggle with regular life. I can't get a job. I can't fill out the application well enough. I don't have the degree, I dint have the degree because I can't handle the stress. I can't handle the stress because I can't keep up. I can't keep up because I either dint understand it or I'm so slow. I get distracted, etc...

Tonight I looked up dyslexia symptoms in adults.holy smokes I hit several in every freaking category. It's no wonder people don't think I'm intelligent enough to wait tables our answer the phone. Sigh.

These were some of the red flags that came up the plague me daily.

Mixing sequences ( I mix up phone numbers and addresses all the time)
Trouble telling time on analog clocks (ok, it's out, I can't tell time unless I sit with the clock a very long time and out works better if I can touch it. Wall clocks are so so so hard)
Trouble pronouncing words. (Think Elmer Fudd...I skip words  that I have trouble with and use easier words. This is why writing is best for me)
Writing is best for me but I scratch pour thoughts and my paper looks like a mess within a couple minutes I also forget words. I'm thinking them but they don't appear. When I read it back I read as if the missing words are there. I don't notice they are missing.  my other issue is the fact I write what I hear and forget my own thoughts. I need complete silence.

There were others. I hit several in each category.
I felt very sad looking down at that list. I had no idea dyslexia was so extensive.

I don't feel dumb. I am in shock. I feel helpless. It makes since though.

The question is "now what?" I still study grammar and teach it to my kids but I can't retain no more than a quarter of it. :-\
I can teach how to tell time but I can't do it myself.
I can't take down a phone number or money amount because I would get it wrong.

I really don't know what to do. :-(



No comments: