Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Women

At the age of 35 I assumed the women around me would have matured more than they have. I am utterly amazed at the lack of inner work people do not do. They read some scripture or other wise sage advice from some dead guru and then all of a sudden they are "healed" and all grown up. They spout off what they have read as if they have made it part of themselves, yet still go ballistic and have tantrums of ridiculous proportions over miniscule events.

I wonder now if many of us ever truly grow-up. I wonder, also, what it means to grow-up. Some people would say it is your age. But like I have said before, I know a lot of little kids that are doctors, lawyers, pilots, and postal workers. Age doesn't mean anything. Age is a number set forth to measure how long you have been alive not how mature you are!

It takes a lot to mature. I am still working on it. What amazes me the amount of people unaware they need to work on it. They passively wait or assume they are because of that farcical number. Some people get that age is a number. My grandmother use to say, "You are only as old as you feel." Yet nothing was ever mentioned about maturity in a positive light. Maturity was something you did not have when you were throwing a tantrum. I heard from adults all around me when another adult acted inappropriately to a situation, "He/She needs to grow-up and stop acting like a baby." Though no one ever talked about how to grow-up. It was just expected you would.

What I gathered as growing older was you were to watch more TV, not go out and socialize, give up sex, give up joy, and go ahead and die because you have nothing else to live for. That is what I see others doing as well. If not that they go the other extreme and think that getting older is a license to party extensively. The major issue with both these issues are they still have not matured inside their soul. They freak out over petty issues and at times ignoring the big ones.

What is the answer? I don't have one. All I know as a society we fail. We fail on an epic level of helping children grow into adults with a strong core and solid ground and a deep passion for living at the same time. We fail at teaching them how to let go of the petty and concentrate where the need is needed.

As a species we have failed and we need to grow-up as well. We only think we have, because of our age!

2 comments:

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Sometimes I would say I've spent 40 years wondering when I was finally going to feel like a grown up. Occasionally I get a glimmer of it--that feeling I expected to have as a "grownup" when I was a kid-- but I've come to the conclusion that if I ever feel that I've "gotten there", that'll be the day I'm ready to move on from this life. There will always be new stages of maturity to pass through until I'm done.

Shala said...

yes, but some don't even get that far. They "think" they are all grown up but still act 5. That is bothersome.