Sunday, April 24, 2011

Holiday Traditions SUCK ASS...at least it taste like it does

If you are a follower you already know I am not a traditionalist. It is not the holiday itself but the unspoken rules everybody abides by and no one really likes. The food rule is my biggest pet peeve! I absolutely loathe most holiday dishes. Thankfully my food allergies have helped me from ingesting this crap for another meal to keep on the sunny side of every body's ideals. To me squishy white prepackaged rolls are gross, further more a side of greenbean casserole slopped next to it makes me feel queasy. Green rice made with cheez whiz, jars of gravy, and microwave mashed potatoes. Can it get any worse? Maybe a Solent Green wafer could make it worse. You know nobody likes the food when you can't get people to take some home and you are offering up free containers. I was at Walmart the other day and this woman was rattling off her grocery list to her husband, "Yes, I got the stuff for greenbean casserole and the gravy..." as her voice trailed off I cringed. Canned soup, canned greenbeans, canned fried onions on top and no one sees anything wrong with this? That my friend is NOT food. It is a food simulated product. Our tradition's are now wrapped up in bad food simulated products. Few people gather around the table with a salad they chopped, mashed potatoes they peeled/boiled/mashed, cranberry sauce they cooked, bread or rolls from scratch, make the greenbean casserole from scratch with real cream, butter, greenbeans, and mushrooms, and use real cheese! People are living out of a box and can and that is tradition. No one is willing to mix it up and just have a meal, a good meal, with real food with real love poured into it. I feel like a pig at the trough at holiday meals. Waddle up to the bin and eat the slop of miracle whip this and canned that. I feel sick and energy less after the meals. I know it is the food. I have become such a food snob I am really impossible to please for the average American. I want fresh, frozen, and organic. The most processed food I eat are corn chips, real mayo, mustard, Cholula sauce, goat yogurt, and my gluten-free Udi's bread. That is pretty much it.

I am waiting for the day I can have a holiday at my house and I make real food. Oh, wait, I did that. I got bitched at because I didn't have any fancy china to eat from. That made the yummy food taste bad.
It is impossible to make my family and my husband's family happy. I think we should skip food at holidays and just get together for "snacks" and have a visit and be done with it. While we are at it, lets stop celebrating Christian holidays like a Christian-Pagan hybrid and make up new holidays every year and stick with the ones we actually had fun with. I want to stop having a reason for the season and just have fun being with people and doing something I like.

No comments: