Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Life and Times of Shampoo

My whole life I have had a love hate relationship with skincare/hygiene products. It all started when I was little and I put some Avon lotion on my skin and broke out into a horrendous rash creature. I am constantly in search for the right and perfect product. In recent years I have discovered that my products are as dangerous as my food I was eating (the typical American diet/processed crap). When I discovered this I began to search for products that did what I needed. Toothpaste was up first because I kept getting sores in my mouth and the dentist told me to use Colgate Sparkle because it was less harsh than adults. I asked him how that could be because it has SPARKLES in it. He didn't have an answer. Like most other matters in my life I took this one into my own hands. I went looking for the right and perfect toothpaste. If I bought traditional toothpaste I was given doses of fluoride and other terrible chemicals. I had nice teeth though! If I bought the natural toothpaste I had scuzzy feeling teeth and I paid a lot for it, too! I decided to experiment. For the past couple years I use nothing but plain water on most days and my trusty waterpik! When I feel the need I will either brush with salt or baking soda. Sometimes I will doing some oil pulling with coconut oil, brush with baking soda, and use the waterpik. I have not had my teeth cleaned in about 3 years now. They feel cleaner now than they do when I leave the dentist. This made me think about other areas in my life as well.

I deal with constant on again and off again head sores because of shampoo and conditioners. I find one that does not give me sores and my hair feels thick and dirty. I find one that makes my hair feel clean and I get sores. Lately I have been trading the two out to achieve the feeling I want in my hair but attempting to avoid the itchy bumps and sores. Then like a light bulb being turned on in a cave I thought about how I could make my own shampoo!!!

To begin I figured I needed to know the history of shampoo.This week I have been researching that. Along the way I looked into how to make shampoo. I told my kids this and they groaned! They want no part in it. They think I am weird because I quit shaving my pits(itchy bumps no more) and wearing traditional deodorant, the toothpaste, homemade laundry detergent, and various other experiment's along the way. I told them I will leave them out of this. We agreed on a safe toothpaste I will buy for them, and I have given up the deodorant fight and soap fight with them. I now just live by example.

Today was the first experiment day. I washed my hair with only water. I was lying in the tub with my head submerged and let the water just really soak in. I scrubbed my scalp really well. When I got out my hair was a fuzzy fried mess!!! I had to rub coconut oil in it to calm it down. Just plain old water did that. That has the wheels turning for sure.

My mind is whirling with ideas from what I have read already. One being buying soap nuts and boiling them. I might even buy some lavender buds, perhaps lavender oil, for smell and cleansing properties. Marigold and chamomile for healing properties. Who knows where this will go but I am interesting in finding out. Consider this your warning if my hair looks really bad on a day you see me. I am experimenting, again!

No comments: