Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Black Beauty....

In the early months of our relationship my husband akin me to horses. He has such a love for the beasts and such undying admiration for their beauty that he used those descriptions on me. I was greatly appalled and deeply wounded someone would call me an animal! I even refused him if he called me "dear" because it sounded too much like "deer." I was young, hot headed, and these terms of endearment were not open for discussion.

The subject never came up again. In our 20 years together, I have taken time to learn about myself and not spend so much time shooting down all the doves and hawks that enter into my forest of misfits.
In that time I discovered how close we are to the beastly world and how interconnected we all are. I am connected to the spider, snake, horse, and mule! I am the dog, the cat, the fish, and the rat! I am all that and more. This is our human experience and I was asleep missing out. My husband instinctual and unconsciously saw the real me. He was trying to express his emotions the best he could being a tender young boy in love.

Today I had an epiphany. I am a wild mare. Beautiful, strong, and completely undomesticated. My sweet innocent man-boy knew this about me from the get-go. He knew what he was getting into before he signed up. He knew I was fiery, moody, and timid. He knew something about me I didn't know, yet.

There is not point to my lightbulb moment except that I had one. I am truly blessed my "cowboy" has been able to hang on tight and ride this "bucking bronco" this long. Not sure weaker men could have done so well!

No comments: