Saturday, March 23, 2013

Leaving the sangha

About six months ago I started going to a Buddhist sangha. I didn't go for a religious experience. I mainly went because I resonated with the Buddhist teachings and was looking for like minded people to expand my friend treasury. I even decided to take precepts, again not for religious reasons. I wanted to take them for a commitment to myself. I had no idea what to expect. I was just there to take my precepts. I started going regularly, after the precept ceremony, to get to know my fellow sangha members.

What I found was what I was wanting to avoid; militant, obnoxious, and cold people. I'm not naive. I know we all don't agree. My opinion, if you are in a group, you treat people with respect even if you disagree with their views.

What has happened the last couple months have left a bitter astringent taste in my mouth and I have zero desire to ever go back and I even knock two of the "highest standing" members off my Facebook page because of their behavior.

What bothers me more than anything is the lack of Buddhist principles not being observed by these members. The next thing that bothers me is that one of those members give the talks when our teacher is not there. This means the teacher believes he is qualified enough to sit in.

I'm not saying I am a perfect practicing Buddhist. In fact I refuse to be labeled as such. What I tell people is what I said here. I took the precepts for a reminder to myself. The precept that glares out when these people post venom on Facebook is a lack of love, respect, understanding, and non-violence in their speech. In Buddhism they speak of right speech. Saying in your Facebook post that people that disagree with you are "idiots" and that you are "about to make fun of people" is not right speech. This, in my opinion, is NOT appropriate behavior of someone leading Buddhist sangha talks on a regular basis.

The other reason I am leaving the sangha is because many of these rude verbal abuses where meant for me. On one such occasion I was told to look on their wall for their opinion of my meme I posted. A simple, " I don't agree" would suffice. Not insult my intelligence. My wish for them would learn about non-violent communication and shadow work if they are going to be in a position like that in the community. I think it is sad. Buddhism is so simple and yet it seems so complicated for so many, even the ones that teach it.

Goodbye, sangha. Enjoy your rude, obnoxious, and crass members. You get what you create. I don't have time for that. I'm going where I am loved.

No comments: