Monday, September 22, 2008

Food

I went to Whole Foods last week, I go every week, but never had I had someone say anything to me about the amount I was buying. Last week I did. The cashier saw my cart load and asked me if I was "stocking up" at first I glared at him. "No" I said, "I am just doing my weekly shopping." In what sounded like an accusing tone looked strangely at me and said, "This is a week?" pointing to my ALL my food going across the conveyor belt. I looked up and said, "Yes, I have boys." His face took on the "knowing" of what that meant. The man bagging said, "the best thing about having boys is they grow up and take YOU out to dinner and PAY!"

Then up walks James, taller than me now. In his low voice tells me what is going on. The boys took their money and bought junk food. The cart load was not enough.

After this exchange I began to keep mental notes during the week and thinking of past weeks and what I should have bought in the way of food. This is what is normal in our home with 3 growing boys and a husband. Now remember I have food allergies and I do not eat any dairy what so ever, I eat no white potatoes, and I do not eat the bacon (allergic tot he spices), many of the cereals(allergic to wheat and grapes, usually sweetened with grape juice). I do not eat anything with wheat.

Gone between Friday afternoon to Thursday night, the kids call Friday "Starve day":

2 to 3 gallons of milk
1 to 2 packages of ice cream
1 package of frozen fruit for a smoothie
2 pounds of bacon
3 dozen eggs
1 to 2 loaves of bread
1 box of crackers (Ritz type from Whole Foods)
1 to 2 blocks of cheese
1- 5lb bag of white potatoes
LOTS of fresh fruit (this can be anything from 6 apples, 1 bunch of grapes, 3 grapefruit, and 4 to 5 peaches in a week)
3 to 6 cans of Mandarin oranges (2 cans a piece)
3 heads or more of Romain lettuce
1 bottle or more of salad dressing
3 to 5 boxes of cereal (various kinds)
homemade popcorn once a week with added cheese powder
1 jar of salsa
2 bags of corn chips
1 sour cream tub
1 block of cream cheese
1 ham
1 package of cheesy wieners
1 small jar of peanut butter or 2 weeks on a large one

This is NOT including dinners. This is strictly the extras I buy to keep people happy. What is more amazing they are not fat. The two that eat the most are the skinniest. The youngest is a bean pole and laughs about seeing his ribs and he packs away a ton of food. He's 6 yrs old and up to my boobs, OK, past them. He's soooo tall. Last year in Kindergarten he was taller than many of the 3rd graders.

I buy myself my rice milk and my 1 box of cereal I eat for dessert, but today the 12 yr old James ate 2 bowls of it and finished it off for me. This is Monday! I have to go until Friday afternoon before I can restock.

The fruity cereal is gone.

The peaches are gone.

A gallon of milk is gone.

1 dozen eggs and 1/2lb bacon is gone.

1/2 the ham is gone.

The salad......you guessed it........GONE

A little of the salad dressing is left.

I hide some food because I KNOW they need it for lunch once a week for a class. Otherwise it is consumed in a flash.

I know what my Father meant when the last son was born and he laughed a sinister laugh and spoke these very words, "Someday your grocery bill will resemble the national debt. These boys will eat you out of house and home. Yep, boys are Grocery Hounds."

Was it a curse or premonition? You decide.........................

.........until next time......send me some money! LOL!

No comments: