Wednesday, February 10, 2010

That's interesting! (WTF does that mean?)

The word interesting is thrown about far too much. We use it to say we like it. We say it to mean we hate it. We use it as a way to keep from saying something rude or mean spirited, "What are you on fuckin' Crack? That's hideous!!" Is what we really mean, but we give the congenial smile and say very pleasantly, "Oh, that is interesting!" with a slight raised eyebrow.


This has got me thinking. I live with a man that throws the word  "interesting" around as if it was a racquetball in play. This concerns me. Does he really think I am interesting or I am a schmuck? Does my love for writing interest him? How about my love for Bollywood music, 1930's and 40's music, Bluegrass, and Reggae? What about my very liberal tendencies? My lack of religion? My ban on shaving my pits? My  save the world mentality? My art? My boisterous voice? My booming overall existence? 


Ah! It would be so much easier if people would use different words to mean different things. Not leaving me to wonder what they mean. 


Next time he catches me in one of my moods dancing around the house, singing words to a made up song in my head in a weird obnoxious voice I hope he can muster the courage to say what he really thinks, "Where in the hell did I find such a freakin' nut like yourself!?" instead of smiling and blinking hard and fast as he stutters and lingering on syllables, "you are SOOOooooo interesting!"

No comments: