Friday, July 29, 2011

Family Ties

I was just thinking about family bonds and family traditions. What my children have is completely different from what I had. I had uncles and aunts all year round. I had cousins from both sides of the family around all year round. My uncle Ron would take me out for ice cream and my aunt Sandy took me to the pool. I saw my grandparents constantly, sometimes daily.  We had family meals for every birthday and holiday. We went camping and they (not me) got drunk together.

There was always a time in a month I saw family, besides my own folks, more than 5 times. I would see an aunt, cousins, always the grandparents, etc... My kids don't have that with an aunt in Boston and one in Africa. My younger sons met their uncle on Skype a few months ago and they are 9 and 11. They see their Aunts and cousins once a year in the summer for a few weeks.  I am an only child and my mother has just passed away. When I was growing up I had lots of grandparents. My mom and dad's mothers and their mothers as well. I had the 2 grandfathers too. My kids have only their fathers side of the family and it is only his mothers side of the family with grandmother and great-grandmother left. My family is all dying off like flies.

My kids have a completely different up bringing with more friend time than family time. I always had more family than friend.  I am not saying this is bad. I am just observing how everything is much different from the way I was raised. I was surround by matriarchs and now I have none of my own. I guess I am the matriarch now.

Interesting! Several years ago I had an akashic record reading done and the message was I was going to be the Matriarch of the family.


No comments: