Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tracking weight day 1

This time last week, on a whim, I pulled out the scale. I gasped. I had gained weight from the last time I looked. I fell into an instant deep depression. I was self loathing. I was angry. I was confused. 

Sometime in the evening I read an article in my Facebook feed about the yearly rating of diets. I clicked through all the diets and I landed on Weight Watchers. I thought about it. My mom lost a ton of weight when she was on it. She was tiny. She quit because she got tired of eating healthy. Her exact words, "I'm tired of only eating vegetables."  This was code she was hungry for mega bowls of ice cream, candy, etc...
My mother hated to eat healthy. She was convinced there was no flavor to it. "Rabbit food." No Miracle Whip, no Cheez Whiz, no way. 

In the time she was doing her diet I was exposed to vegetables. I loved them. I grew into a foodie after real food after her stint with WW. I was her worse nightmare. I bitched about margarine, salt, sugar. I wanted veggies, fresh and not canned. Until the day she died she hated my cooking. She always said it was bland. Everybody else said it was her 40 years of smoking and her MSG consumption. I thought she was a pain in the ass. 

I digress. I looked at the WW website. They had an anonymous online program. This appealed to me. Last time I had joined I walked into a meeting in Johnson County and all these skinny women were sitting in the meeting. They wanted to lose that last 10 pounds and needed help. Then on top of it all I gained 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. I had just had a baby, too. I really should not have been there. I felt discouraged with all these skinny middle aged ladies all worried about a measly 10 pounds. 

I decided if it didn't work, I would only be out my $19 for a month and I would hang up my weight loss hat for good and just keep going with exercise and eating how I already do.

This is my first weight check in and I lost 3.4 pounds. I'm actually surprised because I was given a ton of food to eat. I was usually very full. I realized my biggest issue was my snacking. I get hungry and snack instead I need to cook sooner and eat not wait until I'm half starved off to make a meal.

I'm taking this as a learning experience not as a diet. I'm looking at this as a health benefit not a looks benefit. I'm taking this one month, one week, and one day at a time. 

3.4 lbs yay for me






No comments: