Monday, May 9, 2011

Who cares?

I am running to the car with my jeans on and white button shirt. My recital is in an hour and I am running behind. I am to be on stage at 6pm for a last minute rehearsal and I am going to be late. I jump into the van ready to pull out onto the street and my husband turns his head with a look of panic and concern on his face, "I can tell you are wearing a blue bra! You should..."

"I don't have time to go find my white one! Besides this is baby blue not bright blue! Drive already, we've got to GO!"
I whipped out my lipstick and put it on and pulled my hankies out of the glove box to assemble the last bit of my costume.
My husband begins to tell me he knows where my white bra is and still seems concerned. I roll my eyes and state that I do not have time and I don't care.

This got the gears moving in this ol' brain of mine. People care too much about the wrong things. We care what people think about everything! I have a friend that, in my opinion, misses out on some great ladies because they do not come up to the standard of what others might like. He chooses to be alone and lust after these women in secret instead of being brave and not giing a damn what others think and go for it. Instead he occasionally finds a woman that will date him that looks the part and they last about a month or less. He cares too much about what others think and cares not enough about his personally happiness.

My husband is not that bad, obviously, because he married me. He didn't care if I was model quality eye candy. He knew what he liked and grabbed onto it. Yet, he has his times when he cares far too much about what others think. I for one find that if someone dislikes you based of petty reason then why would you want them around?

These are some of the things I have heard over the years:

"I couldn't be seen with her. Have you seen the shoes she wears?"
"I can't leave the house without make-up on!"
Wrinkled person said, " I have got to color my hair today and cover my white hair. Don't want people thinking I am old!"
Skinny person tugging on skin on their belly, "I have got to something about this. I am fat!"
"I can't be seen with him. He's weird!"
"I cannot wear glasses out in public. You are the only person that knows I can't see! Help me find my contact!"
" Are you really going to wear that out in public?"
"Sit down! Before someone looks over hear."
"Be quiet! Shhhhh! OMG, I wonder what they are thinking!?"


We worry to much about what others will think. We want everyone to approve our weight, clothes, shoes, make-up, mates, friends, work, etc... Meanwhile we are afraid of just being. We are trapped and unhappy and struggle for independence from an invisible cage. We even shun those that are brave and do break free. We roll our eyes at the choice of their mates, shoes, lack of make-up, etc...

I for one am tired of people expecting myself and others to jump through hoops to please them and those same people going nuts trying to jump through the hoops as well. Stop complaining about those last couple pounds, the bad hair cut, the pimple, the bathing suit, the unshaved body parts, the make-up, the clothes, the ...... it is an endless messy list.

Let it go! Do your best and stop the stress. I eat right, I bathe, I exercise, I treat people right, I help when I can and when I feel called to, I am not perfect, I accept my body is not perfect, my hair is not perfect, my teeth are not perfect, my skin is not perfect. My weight is not perfect. My life is not perfect. It is what it is and I do my best. I also do my best without stress. Do I like every hair cut? No. Do I like seeing my hair turn white? Not really. Do I like the fact I weigh what I do? Nope. But freaking out only makes it worse. Fretting like a child just drives others nuts and still does not solve the issues.

I invite you all to stop obsessing over trivial crap. Stop freaking out over the hiccups. See the bigger picture of life. We really don't have a lot of time in our human skins. Some less than others. Do you really want to miss out of joy and love and peace because you are trying desperately to please some impossible ideal set forth by others or even by yourself?

You want to miss out on love and companionship because the mate you really like is not the eye candy you think your buddie want you to have? You really want to sit and weep for weeks over a cavitity, bad hair cut, bad hair color, stained shirt, ripped jeans, scuffed shoe, broken lamp? You really think you are too ugly to be seen without make-up? Do you really want a man that can't stand to see you unless you have on make-up?

I am not really a rebel. I am just a woman not willing to play the game of what others might think! I stopped shaving my pits only because I kepted getting red bumps, dry skin, and irritation. They are all better now! I stopped coloring my hair because I found the dyes expensive. I stopped getting my eye brows waxed because I hated waiting in line to be tortured and then I always felt silly with a pencil thin line of brow. I don't shave my pussy for men because it is suppose to be there! I don't paint my toes or my nails because of the constant maintance! I don't do hair styles because I have no patience for rollers, curling irons, and hair spray. I don't do hose because I always have a run.

I am not a rebel. I am just someone that stood up to the stupid status quo and said ENOUGH! And I quit stressing about it as well. Try it. PLEASE? Because you all are stressing me out with your petty bullshit! ;)

2 comments:

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Amen, Sister.

Blue's Blues said...

I'm in! ;) Then again, I was always in.