Friday, May 6, 2011

Spreading it too thin

I have several friends that "spread it too thin." Meaning they are so busy that they miss life because they try to do it all and be it all and miss the very essence of life. Friends that pop in and out of functions so they can make the next one. Checking the time to get to the next place in time, not on time, just in time. They call you as they drive to "squeeze you in" as they whisk off to meet others. Meanwhile they complain about not having lasting deep connections with people. They complain they cannot get stuff completed. They complain they are a nervous wreck and stressed out. Yet, they continue that life style not realizing two important issues. 1. You cannot make connections when you wil not put the time into it. People don't feel close to people when they check their watch or calling you up while driving to a friends dinner party and say to you, "I only have a minute and wanted to touch base with you." 2. When you are not present you cannot get projects complete and you will always feel stressed. You are out of touch with life and you think being busy is life. If being busy was life then why do you feel stressed and hurried and have poor relationships?

After several scary panic attacks I decided I needed to change my life. I thought about what I disliked in people and realized I was just like that. I know at times life can get away and I then spread it too thin as well, but for the most part I keep the slate clean now so I can enjoy life to the fullest and be present. When there is a friends party coming up I only go to one. The one that requested me first. If I am not sure if I can come I state that. I do not make empty promises. I do not choose the party or outing that sounds more fun nor do I try to squeeze another one in. It is a choice I make so I can be more of a real friend and a trustworthy friend than a buzzing flighy busy bee of a friend.

I now take time for me and my family and take time before jumping into anything I think, "Will this be more stress in my life to do this or will it find its nitch and not rock the boat of sanity?"

Life is short and rushing around doing basically time wasteing bullshit is not for me. I would rather sit and watch an ant pick up a dead fly and carry it home for supper than be busy for busy sake!

I just wished my busy friends would take the time to breathe and relax and stop all this nonsense of go go do and the need to be a superhero of juggling time. Be a superfriend instead and just be there!

No comments: